Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life List Day 177 - Two for 9/11

It's impossible for me to think about things to do to get more out of my life without pausing to think about people whose lives were forever changed six years ago today.

It's not much, but here are two little things I did to commemorate the day:

1. Went to a site called mygooddeed.org, where you're urged to "Post your good deed plans for 9/11." One of their suggestions was making an appointment to give blood - something I've been meaning to do for quite a while now. So I called my local hospital and did just that.

2. On Day 85 of my life list, I signed up to sponsor a woman affected by war through Women for Women International, and while I've been paying the sponsorship money monthly, I have yet to write to my sponsor sister. Today, I'm writing that letter. I've been matched with a 50-year-old married woman named Maraim in Afghanistan with 10 children. On her sponsorship application, she checked as her desires, among other things, developing vocational skills, becoming more active in family decision-making and learning about her rights. Considering that, I believe the gyst of my letter will be, "You go, girl."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Women for Women International’s work in the DR Congo will be featured this Sunday, January 13th on CBS News’ 60 Minutes. It’s scheduled for 7:00pm but you can check your local listings. Thank you for spreading the word and be sure to watch or record it and visit www.womenforwomen.org/congo for more info!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the blog owner. What a blog! nice idea.