Friday, October 26, 2007

Life List Day 220 - Shop for Produce Locally


Inspired by the book I'm reading, Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan - which looks at how the dominance of "industrial farming" is affecting our health and our world - I decided to finally check out the local farmers market, which is every Friday noon to 4 p.m. The market promises "fruits and vegetables that are fresh picked, vine and tree ripened, and sold by certified farmers who grow the products at local farms."

I was overwhelmed by the tables and tables of heaping, unwashed food (I'm soooooooo spoiled by "salad in a bag" and Trader Joe's semi-prepared foods).

I bought some assorted vegetables. If I actually wash and eat them, I may just try the market again. It made me feel so supportive of my local farmers.

2 comments:

Nancy R said...

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver is along similar lines. A very enjoyable read too.

Anonymous said...

To the owner of this blog, how far youve come?