Saturday, November 3, 2007

Life List 228 - Go See Live Music

My friend Irina and I met for a drink tonight, and instead of going to one of the usual places, we picked a bar called Grog - for the sole reason it was in the neighborhood, we've never been there, and they promised an '80s band. It's been a while since I've seen live music in a bar.

As it turned out, the band wasn't an '80s band, but more specifically, a Tom Petty tribute band.

Yes, TOM PETTY.

I'd have liked to have been in the room when they decided, "Hey, let's only do songs by Tom Petty." Is it just me, or is that rather obscure?

The entire evening, my friend and I were trying to come up with what tribute bands we'd put together that might be on par with the Tom Petty band.

She was going to start a Rick Springfield band.

I made a joke about being in a Carpenter's tribute band thinking that was ridiculous but, the more I thought about it, that'd be pretty bitchin'.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love Tom Petty! But you are right -- kinda obscure.

Livingsword said...

Hi Jill;

This article of yours is so rich in potential pathways I don’t know where to start…

My wife likes Tom Petty…I am not a particular fan of his music…I thought you were going to say you were a fan of his to which I would have responded to you with the words of my Hero “go forth and sin no more”…

…But then I was comforted that you seemed to not be such a fan…Then you seem to like the Carpenters…to which I was going to respond with a similar clever rejoinder…but then I thought she can’t mean the Carpenters…she must mean The Carpenter :)

Sorry couldn’t let it pass :)

Nancy R said...

I'd SO come to either one of your gigs...but NOT the Tom Petty band.

Trinity said...

I come here because livingsword told me about your blog... Oh you write your blog everyday as well! I join nablopomo this month and committed to post every day 'only' on November.. you are so great, committed to write every day in the whole year!


Trinity from Rooms of
My Heart

Mike Minzes said...

A Rick Springfield band??

It's sad that I actually danced to his music HA

now that it's cooler, how is life at the beach house?

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about these. Well someday Ill create a blog to compete you! lolz.