Saturday, November 3, 2007

Life List Day 227 - Try Heirloom Tomatoes


I actually bought heirloom cherry tomatoes before, but they went bad before I got around to eating them because I used the prettier, red, perfect tomatoes I had on hand first.

Today, I bought a pack of heirlooms from Trader Joe's and made it a point to break into them right away.

Heirloom tomatoes, I learned from Wikipedia, are open pollinated, which is why - in the absence of cultivating for characteristics of what we define as tomato perfection - they can be kind of freaky looking.

I tried the greenish and the brownish looking one first. Not bad! They definitely tasted tomatoey - which I enjoy in a tomato - maybe not as much as I expected, but more than the supermarket ones I've been buying.

I'll try them again.

After all, don't ugly tomatoes deserve to get eaten, too?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for open-pollinated anything! The universe of food species of plants is shrinking, I understand, because only a limited number are commercially viable. Although why styrofoam tomatoes are *commercially viable* is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Yay for open-pollinated anything! The universe of food species of plants is shrinking, I understand, because only a limited number are commercially viable. Although why styrofoam tomatoes are *commercially viable* is beyond me.

soleil said...

i don't like tomatoes, but i think heirloom tomatoes are much more interesting to look at than regular ones. i wish i liked tomatoes because i would definitely like to eat the heirlooms for their assorted shapes and colors. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the blog owner. What a blog! nice idea.