Sunday, November 4, 2007

Life List Day 229 - Attempt a Long Bike Ride Down the Beach


Please note use of the word "attempt."

Today, I had planned to ride my bike to Venice Beach, which is about 20 miles round trip. My bike is a beach cruiser - no gears, hand brakes - so that's a pretty long ride, but I thought it'd be quite the adventure.

The weather apparently had other ideas. I waited until 1:30 for the sun to peek through and the wind to die down. When it didn't, I decided to head out anyway.

Even with the wind, it was a great ride. I made it as far as the airport (about five miles away), where - tired ... and worried about how flat my front tire was looking - I stopped to sit and watch planes take off over the beach and disappear into the clouds. Then I headed back, delighted to have the wind pushing me rather than fighting me.

I'll try my great bike exodus another day. In the meantime, this was just fine.

2 comments:

Livingsword said...

Hi Jill;

Sounds like quite a nice day…

It is funny, every day I ride my elliptical (do you ride an elliptical trainer?) minimum 20 km (12.4 mils), and ride my stationary bike another 10-20 km. Yet when I ride my mountain bike on the street or in the park or on a trail it is much more work with the wind blowing in the face (never mind traffic or bears and cougars), of course on the home work out equipment there is no gliding!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the blog owner. What a blog! nice idea.